Taste and See: finding Jesus in the biblical feasts
I am so excited about something I've decided to do on the blog! I've been fascinated by the biblical feasts for years and have studied them off and on, but I've always really wanted to do them. I've wanted to celebrate Passover and Pentecost and the other feasts but I haven't been sure of how to do that, and I've been intimidated by them. Well, 2017 is the year we're going to jump in! The feasts were given by God in the Old Testament as pictures of what He has and will do for His people. These celebrations and ceremonies tell the story of our Great God's salvation of His people. I believe that we miss an opportunity to see who Jesus is and what He has done because most of us no longer act out these physical representations of God's perfect plan for the total restoration and redemption of the world.
My desire on this blog is for all of us to grow to know and love the Lord more--to recognize the One who has done all that was necessary to draw us to Himself.
To find our place in His presence.
He has secured that place for us, and it's the only place where we will find real joy and peace and purpose.
The biblical feasts lead us right into the presence of the Lord.
So, we're going to celebrate the feasts this year! I've been doing a lot of reading and research, and I CAN'T WAIT to get started! I wish I could tell you that I have a perfect plan and perfect instructions for how to do this, but I don't. These feasts are thousands of years old, and the traditions have shifted through the years. But we're going to do our best to celebrate them in a way that allows us to honor, worship and encounter the God who ordained them so many years ago.
I'm praying that He'll show us Himself in ways we haven't seen before. I'm trusting that every single glimpse of Him will make us love Him more.
Some practical notes:
- For each feast, I plan to post about the history of the feast, the way that it points to Christ and then explore how we might observe it today.
- We're going to look at the seven major feasts set forth by God in the Bible. They occur in the spring and the fall. I'll post a more detailed calendar next week. (And I have something else planned for summer - stay tuned!)
- I plan to give pretty detailed instructions about how to celebrate them. (Maybe there will even be videos and pictures. I just ordered a tripod for my phone to make this possible. Get excited! haha)
- I hope that you will gather your own friends and families to celebrate these feasts. The feasts were intended to be tangible pictures of a living God, so the more hands-on you make it, the more you will get out of it!
- It's all about Jesus. We're going to be as faithful as we can with the details and we're going to keep our eyes on Him.
So, are you in? Let me know by signing up here! (If you already receive this blog in your email, then you're already signed up.)
I'm looking forward to exploring these feasts and seeking our Lord with you!